Saturday, February 18, 2006

On the Hot Seat


Mainframes may be newer in Europe and the United States, but Japan's bathroom fixtures outclass all others in modernity.

When I moved into my apartment I shut off the heated seat, thinking the whole idea absurd. A few days later I turned it back on, thinking I should try to embrace cultural phenomena. This morning I thought, "Maybe this idea makes sense." At this rate, in about two weeks, what started as a ridiculous feature may become as necessary as toothpaste.... OK, maybe not.

Given the electricity required to heat Japan's seats, how many tons of greenhouse gases do they produce each year? (Will local warming result in global warming?) And has anyone in Japan ever been commodiously electrocuted? If someone in this blog's home audience wants to offer some answers, post a comment.

No comments: